Art and Design
Details of the Art and Design Curriculum for each year group for each term can be found on the class webpages.
Essential characteristics of artists
We have identified the following essential characteristics which we aim to develop to enable children to become independent and confident artists and designers:
- The ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
- The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
- The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
- The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media.
- An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft-makers and designers.
- The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
- Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
- The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skilfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
- The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
- A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
Essential opportunities for art and design
In order to ensure that our children are provided with a range of opportunities to enable them to become confident and independent artists and designers we provide:
Key Stage One
|Key Stage Two|
• Use experiences and ideas as the inspiration for artwork.
• Share ideas using drawing, painting and sculpture.
• Explore a variety of techniques.
• Learn about the work of a range of artists, artisans and designers.
• Use experiences, other subjects across the curriculum and ideas as inspiration for artwork.
• Develop and share ideas in a sketchbook and in finished products.
• Improve mastery of techniques.
• Learn about the great artists, architects and designers in history
Essential learning objectives for art
We have identified 3 essential learning objectives for art and design:
To develop ideas
To master techniques
To take inspiration from the greats